School of Rock – Day 4 – Harmony Basics

SUMMARY

Today was good me and Andreras made a pretty good UK drill beat

PRACTICE ROOM

Today in the practice room I started by playing a bit of guitar. I then went on to bass and basically practiced random stuff for the rest of the period on the bass to get better. I managed to figure out the bass lines to a couple songs which I played while trying different ways of playing the bass. I tried to slap and watched a video on it but kinda failed.

CLASSROOM

Watch How Harmony Works (47 minutes)

-Harmonies began as drones, and eventually became chords

-Each note has a series of harmonics in it. notes in the harmonics will be the notes the original note will harmonize with it.

-Minor chords have less notes in the first frequencies of the harmonic series which make it darker and less happy as opposed to a major chord

-Chord progressions give the movement to a song

-Composers became obsessed with the tonic and dominant chords

-The tonic dominant and subdominant are the primary triads

LAB

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ReY3PiVLXYg%3Ffeature%3Doembed

I liked playing around with all the different chords and stuff it was fun

OUTSIDE / JOURNAL / IDEAS

Go for a walk and think about the Tonic (1 chord) and the Dominant (5 chord) and how they create push and pull, tension and release in composition.

Write a short reflection here about what you thought. DELETE ALL OF MR. LE DUC’s INSTRUCTIONS DETAILED ABOVE AFTER COMPLETING THEM

• Tonic (1 and 8 chords)
    • Root note creates a feeling of resolution and stability 
  • Supertonic, Mediant, Submediant (2, 3, 6 chords)
    • Moderate tension, useful for transitions 
  • Dominant, Subdominant, Leading Tone (4, 5, 7 chords)
    • Create lots of tension to get to the tonic 

Mr. Le Duc’s Key of C Major Notes and Chords Chart (PDF)

STUDIO

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z3Dy6Mnp5Og%3Ffeature%3Doembed

Watch this informative video by Jake Lizzio. Experiment with notes on your guitar and try playing along with him. If you cannot do this play just the C note or chord every time he plays it. DELETE ALL OF MR. LE DUC’s INSTRUCTIONS DETAILED ABOVE AFTER COMPLETING THEM

CONTROL ROOM

Tune your guitar, bass or keyboard. Try recording two tracks of guitar, bass, or keyboard.  One with the single notes like Jake Lizzio showed you above and a second with the lower C bass notes to make a simple progression. Remember two notes playing at the same time is harmonyKeep it simple.  Refer to your Quizlet Guitar Strings / Notes Flashcards if you need help remembering the guitar notes on the first three frets. Set a timer. Stop playing before you feel like Chewbacca below. 

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

Tell your daily story here!  Highlight what you learned and enjoyed most. Problem-solving is one of the most important skills you need in life. Employers want to know HOW you get stuff done as much as WHAT you got done. DELETE ALL OF MR. LE DUC’s INSTRUCTIONS DETAILED ABOVE AFTER COMPLETING THEM

DAILY ACTIVITY EVALUATION

• Give feedback on the class Content and Process
    • Participation will be part of your leadership project due at the end of the course
  • Fill in the Daily Activity Evaluation