School of Rock – Day 15 – Celebration and Reflection

SUMMARY

I think taking this class was my the best decision I have made in a long time. I learned so much and not only do I know more about music but I feel that this class has given me a huge boost in motivation. I love Mr. Le Duc’s teaching style and how he structured this class. Another thing that made this class all the more worthwhile was everything that i learned about that could be applied to music but could also be applied to other things in life. The amount of freedom we had was also really nice since we could really dive deep into what we came to learn in this class. I loved this class so much and can’t wait to apply all that I heave learned into my music.

Also, a message for Mr. Le Duc:

You have not seen the last of me pal, I’ll see you in the hall of fame.

LEADERSHIP ACTIVITY

Working with Andreas was really fun. I think we both got to go a bit out of our comfort zones with the songs we made which was nice. I also think we managed to get a really good synergy going between us and we feed off of each other pretty well once we get in the “zone”. This was probably my favorite part of the whole class.

How interested were you in learning the leadership project?

• 1 (NOT MY THING!)
  • 2 (not really)
  • 3 (sorta interested)
  • 4 (interested)
  • 5 (YES! – I LOVE THIS STUFF!)

Your score: 5

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

This was probably my favorite room out of all of them. This is because it’s the one I learned the most in. The “How Music Works Series” covered a lot of information all of which fascinated me. There are so many concepts and other things that I learned in it that I will most certainly incorporate into my music. The history part of the series was also really nice to learn. Another thing that I like about the series is that it talked about a lot of things that I already knew but went into more detail about it.

How interested were you in learning about music theory and song analysis?

• 1 (NOT MY THING!)
  • 2 (not really)
  • 3 (sorta interested)
  • 4 (interested)
  • 5 (YES! – I LOVE THIS STUFF!)

Your score: 5

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

Although I did not use it that much, I found Hook Theory a very interesting tool that I imagine I will use a lot in the future. my favorite part about Hook Theory is that you can construct basically any chord even if you don’t actually know the intervals involved in it. I think the thing that will be most useful in it will be being able to really quickly test out various chord progressions. Again, I did not use it much in this class but I’m sure it will come in handy pllenty of times in the future.

How interested were you in learning about HookLab and HookTab?

• 1 (NOT MY THING!)
  • 2 (not really)
  • 3 (sorta interested)
  • 4 (interested)
  • 5 (YES! – I LOVE THIS STUFF!)

Your score: 5

PRACTICE ROOM (GUITAR LESSONS)

I really enjoyed learning the bass after wanting to play it for so long. I also got better at guitar in this period which was pretty nice. I just hope I won’t forget everything I learned on the bass since I don’t have a bass guitar at home that I can practice on. Perhaps one day when I have the sufficient founds i’ll get one.

How interested were you in learning to play the an Instrument?

• 1 (NOT MY THING!)
  • 2 (not really)
  • 3 (sorta interested)
  • 4 (interested)
  • 5 (YES! – I LOVE THIS STUFF!)

Your score: 5

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

Leaning this stuff was very interesting. I have always been fascinated by human psychology and I learned a lot about things that I think will not only help me in making music, but also in life. The resources that Mr. Le Duc gave on this subject were very interesting and I learned something new from every single one of them. I will no doubt in the future come back to these resources and revisit them since I’m sure theres still plenty I can learn from that I might not have caught the first time I saw them.

How interested were you in learning about topics related to the brain, creativity, and productivity?

• 1 (NOT MY THING!)
  • 2 (not really)
  • 3 (sorta interested)
  • 4 (interested)
  • 5 (YES! – I LOVE THIS STUFF!)

Your score: 5

STUDIO (SONGWRITING)

I liked learning about this stuff because I knew very little about songwriting before this class. I had written a couple songs before, but most of my experience was in making beats and playing other peoples songs on instruments. There was a lot of material and a lot to take in on this subject so I probably won’t remember all of it but at least I can come back to these blogs and revisit some of the stuff we learned. I have already started applying a lot of the techniques I have learned it this class in my music and it has been really helpful.

How interested were you in learning about songwriting, song structure, and music production?

• 1 (NOT MY THING!)
  • 2 (not really)
  • 3 (sorta interested)
  • 4 (interested)
  • 5 (YES! – I LOVE THIS STUFF!)

Your score: ?

CONTROL ROOM (RECORDING & MIXING)

Learning about mixing and mastering was one of my main things I was looking forward to in this class, and I was not disappointed. I learned a lot about mixing and mastering, especially mixing. Mr. Le Duc’s resources on youtube about this stuff was very helpful. I’m also really glad I got to use professional mixing headphones and speakers. Getting to use all the cool microphones was also pretty fun.

How interested were you in learning about recording, engineering (sound effects, EQ), and mixing?

• 1 (NOT MY THING!)
  • 2 (not really)
  • 3 (sorta interested)
  • 4 (interested)
  • 5 (YES! – I LOVE THIS STUFF!)

Your score: 5

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

What did I learn? Well, basically the A to Z of everything involving music (songwriting, recording, production, mixing, mastering, ect.). There were many problems i encountered on the was which I think was a big part of how I learned in this course. Overall however, the class went pretty smoothy and all the problems I encountered were “good” problems and I was able to solve all of them.

THE COURSE’s ACTIVITY EVALUATION (OVERALL)

Content (The WHAT)

Rating: OK  – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5  – HIGHLY ENGAGED

Rating: 5

The thing that I liked learning about the most in this class was mixing, and music theory. I enjoyed everything else as well though.

Process (The HOW)

Rating: 5

My favorite part of the class structure was probably the amount of freedom that we got once we got a routine going.

On thing that I would have liked was for the class to be longer since the amount of information thrown at you each day was a lot and I think it would have sunk in better if it was more spaced out.